Thursday, December 11, 2008

Back to roots

So, the '59 Rekord has come and gone. Turns out a good friend of mine in Ohio wanted it as a project as well, and I suspect she would be better at following through with it than I would. So we have now traded projects, Rekord in exchange for a 1970 Opel Kadett wagon, and in the broze color I remember so well at that.

You see, my first longterm car was a bronze Opel Kadett wagon. I drove it around for parts of the last couple of years of High School and up through college until I joined the Navy. That car and I had some epic stories together, ranging from the frozen Wisconsin trip off to college to the trip with no brakes through KS, OK, and TX.

This one is off to the same sort of start, actually, and while it's a little scary it sort of seems to fit. See, on the way back from Ohio with the car I was stopped just shy of the border by Ohio's finest. Some line about a tip that "there was going to be a white truck pulling a junky car full of drugs" and next thing I know there's a K-9 unit circling the truck. No worries, I've never done any drugs and I'm sure my friend hasn't, so there shouldn't be anything to find.

That is until the dog goes nuts over the boxes of parts that came with the car in the back of the truck.

Next thing I know I'm being patted down and standing in the falling snow next to the truck while the police cars are piling up behind the truck and officers are thoroughly combing through every box. What a way to start a new relationship, right?

Luckily nothing was found, and I was sent on my way, but there were a couple of moments there wher I wondered how I was going to explain the situation at work. Not that it would really surprise anyone, I don't think, it would just get filed away as another one of those car stories....